The beautiful lake and features at Alderford began as the result of a new road – the Whitchurch bypass. The new road needed sand and gravels and a site was identified to supply these on land owned by the Bebbington family.
The extraction work – which began in 1991 – created a gaping hole, and this was seen as an opportunity by the Bebbingtons to create a fishing lake. Fisheries scientist Dr Bruno Broughton was consulted. He advised the local water quality was most suitable for trout and so a fly fishing water was born. Extensive landscaping took place to create islands, shallows, deep bays and gently sloping banks, which were then planted with grass and wildflowers.
In 1993, the lake opened initially as a private syndicate water and in 1994 as a day ticket water. The wooden lodge was built in 2007 and the fishing continued. The lodge was used for events and was converted to a café business in April 2011. Since then the business has grown year on year, and the site hosts numerous events throughout the year.
Dog walkers, runners and open water swimmers all make use of the lake and grounds during the year and there is a lakeside walk and play area to keep visitors active. The events programme brings even more outdoor entertainment including tractor pulling, theatre and fireworks.
If you like to sleep under the stars they welcome campers and caravanners all year round. For more luxury, the onsite B&B – The Glas – is the perfect place to escape.
Maintaining our beautiful site, which is free of charge to enter, takes time and money so we respectfully ask that all food and drink consumed on site is purchased from our cafe. That means no picnics please!
- Alderford Lake Car Boot supporting Whitchurch Relay for Life on Sunday, 1st July 2018 9:00am
- Alderford Lake Car Boot supporting Carers Trust 4 All on Sunday, 5th August 2018 9:00am
- The Tempest by William Shakespeare on Saturday, 25th August 2018 6:00pm
- Alderford Lake car boot supporting Friends of Whitchurch Hospital on Sunday, 2nd September 2018 9:00am
- Alderford Lake Car Boot supporting Blackberry Fair on Sunday, 7th October 2018 9:00am