Whitchurch C.E. (Controlled) Junior School was established on its present site in 1971. The imposing building was originally the Girls’ Public High School, built in 1911, and it retains many of the fine features, both internally and externally, of that period.
In 1989 work began on a new extension to replace a number of old or temporary buildings. At the same time extensive renovations were carried out in the rest of the school. This new block was officially opened in October 1990. In 2002 a new Year 5 teaching block was constructed.
We now believe that the school building is one of the finest in Shropshire and provides a complete range of working areas, which bring variety and creativity to the learning of our pupils.
There are thirteen classrooms each of very different style and shape, a large hall, dining room and library. We have a computer suite and all classrooms have interactive whiteboards. We also have over 50 laptops that are used in classrooms across the school to support teaching and learning. There is a General Purposes room and a Meeting Room. A lift has been fitted in the main building for disabled access.
Outdoor facilities include: three playgrounds; an extensive sports field; an adventure play area; a quiet Japanese style garden and a wildlife/Forest School area. We have a vegetable garden and an orchard. There are seating areas for pupils on the field and playgrounds and shady areas for when the weather is hot. Pupils have a wide range of playground equipment to use at break and lunchtimes.
The staff work hard to create an attractive and stimulating environment in which the children work and play.
We hope you will want to be part of this lively community where all children are challenged to achieve their best.